Monday, January 18, 2010

Podcasts

I am especially interested in this part of class. I have thought about this piece of technology when I have substitute teachers. About 2 moths ago I had to be out for district curriculum work. I leave pretty detailed instructions for my substitute. The topic that we were studying in Math class was division of fractions. (My district uses CMP and it is truly from a constructivist perspective) My students were given problems and they were supposed to draw pictures, and determine the answer from the pictures. I just wanted them to continue their thinking.

When I returned, my substitute teacher had totally ignored all my highlighted notes (from the Teacher's Guide) and my notes. He had simply taught them to cross-multiply. Which really causes more confusion (in the future grades) and does nothing more than have them memorize an algorithm. Of course as I checked their answers, kids were drawing arrows and multiplying incorrect sets of numbers and placing them in the wrong place. AAAhhh!

I attempted to redo the lesson and much to my chagrin several kids fought me tooth and nail until I told them, that if they could give me sound mathematical reasoning and proof of that procedure, they could use it.

Long "blog" short - I feel that if I could podcast my lesson plan, the kids would get the information that I want them to. Also, for kids that are absent they would be able to see what they missed or kids could review in class material.

I am very anxious to try this out and see how if works.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ruth,

    Using podcasts for substitute days seems like a really good idea! It can be quite frustrating when you work so hard to make very detailed sub plans and it seems the person doesn't at least give them a good attempt. I've had similar things like that happen in my classroom before when I've been gone- the sub teaches the kids a quick and easy method and of course they think it's super cool and think you've deprived them of something and you come back the next day and they whine, "Why did YOU never show us this way?"

    I think its a good approach that you guys have to math at Holt. (I've worked with several of your HS math teachers at conferences and I am well-acquainted with your style.) I think it's good how you place such an emphasis on understanding the concept rather than just memorizing something meaningless that can get the job done. Did any of your students end up providing you with "sound mathematical reasoning and proof" as to why they could use the cross multiplying method?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a great idea. I work as a substitute teacher now and plan to continue to until I find my own classroom someday! ;) I'm glad to hear that you leave good sub plans and it's a shame that people didn't follow them, but TONS of teachers leave next to nothing. I would love to be able to play a podcast for students at the beginning of class. I say run with it!

    ReplyDelete