Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Students punished for Facebook

A student at Roxboro Middle School created a Facebook page that "bashed" a teacher.  Other students quickly became fans and added postings.  The School District took action by suspending one student and giving the other kids after-school detention.  One parent was angry and expressed that his daughter did nothing wrong and would not be attending her detention.

In this age of social networking and cyber-bullying this story gives me reason to pause and think.  I am curious to see where the rest of this story goes.  I teach 6th Graders and frankly, they can hate you one day and love you the next.  I also, would like to point out that obviously the parent in the video was not monitoring their students accounts.  I think that as a parent, that is one safe guard that needs to be in place. 

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?cl=17819441

1 comment:

  1. We actually had something similiar to this happen at our school through MYSPACE a few years ago. The student was suspended and taken out of the classroom from the teacher she threatened for the remainder of the year. I am not sure what happened after the school year ended but I do not the teacher was considering pressng charges against the student since she threatened her life.

    ReplyDelete